5.24.2010

Whole Wheat Banana Bread, Using Soaked Wheat


{YUM.}

Over the weekend I stumbled across a recipe for whole wheat banana bread on the Paprikahead site.   I did a little bit of tweaking to adapt it to what my husband and I were looking for and we had sweet success.  Oh yes... it was SO good.  And fairly easy.

I used my 12-inch long bread panI'd purchased using some of my Swagbucks.  I highly recommend this pan; it has been wonderful!  We ended up getting two of them so that I could do one big batch of breadbaking early in the week and then not have to bake again for a few days.

I noticed that a couple of Paprikahead's commenters had mentioned their loaf was gooey and sank in the middle.  Using the longer loaf pan may have helped me avoid having the same problem, but I also added additional flour... see my note in the recipe.


Here's what worked for us:

The night before, combine two cups of wheat flour (I used freshly ground hard white wheat) with 1 1/3 cups of water, plus two tablespoons of vinegar.  Be sure the flour is saturated, cover it, then leave it on the counter overnight, or about 14 hours.

The next morning, butter one long loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350.

Mash two large, ripe bananas in a large bowl.

Stir in:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/4 c sugar (you *should* be able to substitute honey if you prefer)
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Using wet hands, mix everything in with the soaked flour mixture. IMPORTANT:  Keep an eye on your dough here.  Mine was still very wet, so at this point I added an additional 3/4 cups of flour to get it to the right consistency... it shouldn't be soupy, but it should still be pourable, kind of like a thick cake batter.

Pour into your buttered loaf pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes, until golden brown.  If a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, it's ready to come out of the oven.

Let the bread sit for at least 30 minutes before serving, and don't be surprised if it's gone by the end of the day :o)

     Enjoy~
post signature



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First time here? Get each new post tucked into your email. 
 
This post is linked with Pennywise PlatterReal Food WednesdayTuesdays at the Table and Tasty Tuesday.


5 comments:

  1. This looks great! I'd love to try it with the honey. I made a bread recently with honey instead of sugar and it turned out pretty good, a bit goopier though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bread, and thanks so much for sharing a link for the pan. I've never seen it before. Is it large enough for a double recipe?

    I'd love it if you'd stop by for a visit.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. ButterYum ~ Thanks! This recipe fits perfectly in the 12 inch pan, but when using other bread recipes I do 1.5 times the standard recipe... not quite double. But, when I'm doing a large batch I'll *triple* a regular recipe and divide the dough between TWO loaf pans. Hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very intrigued by your pan! I should check my swagbucks status and maybe get one of those too! If I just have plain organic flour from the grocery store can I soak it just like you did yours? I don't know where to otherwise get freshly ground flour. Thanks! And thanks for linking with me today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melodie, you can still soak the flour if it's whole wheat. Try to be sure it's from a store that has a high turnover so it somewhat fresh. Watch the absorption, too; you may have to add a little more or less flour on the day you mix all the ingredients together.

    Thanks for popping by! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts; you've all helped to create a wonderful little community here at Like a Bubbling Brook.

Please remember the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." While I love to hear from you, comments encouraging division and condemnation will not be published - rather, they will be promptly deleted.

I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say! I wish we could chat over coffee or tea one day ~

xoxo,

Jaime

Related Posts with Thumbnails