7.26.2010

How To Make Scrumptious Blueberry Jam


We've been drowning in blueberries the last several days... we went blueberry picking and have since made blueberry pie, blueberry muffins, and lots of blueberry jam.  I thought I'd take a few minutes to share with you how we make our blueberry freezer jam.  It's really quite simple to do! 

My recipe is a reduced-sugar recipe, so you can enjoy more of the fresh fruit taste.  It also doesn't require Sure-jell or any kind of pectin; you really don't need to use it with blueberries.

One thing to keep in mind is that you want to work in small batches, or your jam may not set properly.  I've had good results doing six cups per batch, so...

Rinse six cups of blueberries and pour them into a large, heavy pot; set pot to medium high.


As blueberries come to a simmer, mash them with a potato masher until they are a bit soupy in consistency.  Let them simmer for 2-3 minutes, then slowly add in three cups of white sugar, stirring constantly.

Bring to an even boil, where the pot is still bubbling although you are stirring, and let boil gently for about 5-7 minutes.


When you think the jam has thickened a bit, put a tablespoon or two of the jam on a small plate and place it in the freezer for one minute.  When you pull the plate out and tilt it diagonally, does the jam try to hold it's shape a bit, or is it runny?  If it tries to hold a shape, you are ready to remove the pot from the burner.


Ladle the jam into clean jelly jars (you'll need six of them, although I used larger jars here since I was out of jelly jars), put on the lids and rings, and let sit on a cooling rack until they've reached room temperature, which may take a few hours.


Once the jam is ready, I put one in the fridge to use right away, and the others in my deep freeze for later :) 

(We've prepared peach jam the same way, using peeled and chopped peaches... both are scrumptious spooned onto a slice of homemade bread or warmed over vanilla ice cream!)

Blueberry jam over my cinnamon raisin walnut bread

What's your favorite kind of jam?

           Enjoy,
post signature




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{Linked with Finer Things FridayJust Something I Whipped Up, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, and 30 Minute Blog Challenge}

Thanks for taking the time to visit Like a Bubbling Brook. As another busy mama, I understand that your very few spare minutes are precious. If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to receive free updates via email. Thanks for visiting!
 
 Search & Win


10 comments:

  1. Your jam looks absolutely delicious - blueberries are my favourite fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drowning in blueberries? What a happy place to be! :) I'm with you - I prefer less sugar in my jam - it allows the fruit flavor to really come up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA!! I love that there is no pectin in this recipe :) Thank you for giving me a jam recipe I can make!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had blueberry jam, I need to try this out!

    http://www.kathiesculinarykreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love blueberry jam! So this is a freezer jam recipe? Sounds delicious! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so pretty! I will give it a try! I popped over from Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks absolutely delicious!
    Maybe one day I will be talented enough to do something like this, right now I am just getting use to this full-time Mom gig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister makes this every year and gives me some. I make the strawberry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really simple to make, not to mention delish!

    I'm stopping by through Steady Mom's 30 Minute Challenge. I hope you'll do the same! You can find me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the reduced-sugar version, too. And we are going to have peaches to use any day. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for linking up at {Dish It!}. c-: ~ Katie

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts; you've all helped to create a wonderful little community here at Like a Bubbling Brook.

Please remember the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." While I love to hear from you, comments encouraging division and condemnation will not be published - rather, they will be promptly deleted.

I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say! I wish we could chat over coffee or tea one day ~

xoxo,

Jaime

Related Posts with Thumbnails