7.27.2010

Bubbling Brooks and Stagnant Streams

Dr. Howard Hendricks once shared the story of a professor who stayed up late at night pouring over his books. A passerby asked him, “What keeps you studying? You never seem to stop.” His answer was, “I would rather my students drink from a bubbling brook than a stagnant pool.”

How about those you have relationships with? Are they drinking from a bubbling brook or a stagnant stream? The wellspring of wisdom is as a flowing brook (Proverbs 18:4).

This illustration always stayed with me and, as I was completing my master’s degree a few years ago, my heart grew heavy. I’d spent many years obtaining a formal education, reading books assigned by professors, studying subjects dictated by degree requirements, but I had neglected my study of His Word, His divinely-inspired love letter to me, the most important book of all...

To continue reading, click here; I'm guest posting over at Sarah Mae's site, Like a Warm Cup of Coffee, today!

  In Passionate Pursuit,
post signature

Thanks for taking the time to visit Like a Bubbling Brook. As another busy mama, I understand that your very few spare minutes are precious. If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to receive free updates via email. Thanks for visiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts; you've all helped to create a wonderful little community here at Like a Bubbling Brook.

Please remember the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." While I love to hear from you, comments encouraging division and condemnation will not be published - rather, they will be promptly deleted.

I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say! I wish we could chat over coffee or tea one day ~

xoxo,

Jaime

Related Posts with Thumbnails