2.07.2011

Guest Post: 5 Lessons I Learned From My Children


[isn't this little ruffled hoodie adorable? you can buy one today at evy's tree!]

~ Precious mamas, my family is off on a little adventure this week, and I'm honored to have special guests sharing with you in my absence.  Today, the lovely Jasmine from Far Above Rubies shares with us some lessons she's learned while raising her six little blessings. I'm excited about introducing her to you!  I'll be back with you all next week to share some exciting news! ~


Five Lessons I've Learned From My Children:

1.  Do not share family plans with small children in advance.

If I share thoughts of a trip to the park, a visit to a friend’s house, or a walk around the corner in advance, I’m bombarded with questions before the actual event.

Numerous little mouths going a hundred miles an hour is not fun, so it is best to keep quiet until the moment you are ready to do what you set out to do.

2.  Relationship triumphs over religion.

I can preach and teach God until I’m blue in the face, but if my children do not sense love, mercy, and forgiveness I sound like noise (1 Cor. 13).

Children respond more readily to a gentle and quiet mother who is also firm and consistent. Mom seeks to know and shepherd her children while maintaining authority and respect.  Religion can be harsh and driven while relationship is developed and nurtured.

3.  Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no.

When you say you’re going to do something, do it. Follow your words with actions. It gives a sense of security and stability to know mommy and daddy mean what they say.

4.  Give children what they need.

It’s incredibly easy to give into our children’s pleas for toys, gadgets, and sweet treats, but if they do not need it - then don’t give it. For example, if your child is cranky and overly stimulated give them a nap, not food.

When I give my children what they need, the family experiences greater peace and order.

5.  No lectures.

When I see a glazed look in my children’s eyes I know I’ve talked too long. The phrase “No lectures or speeches allowed” should be hung up in capital letters somewhere in your home; that is, if you’re like me, and prone to drag the point home!

Short and quick works much better than a long and drawn out speech about bickering with brother.

Use reinforcement if needed, but be quick, firm, and loving.



Jasmine is happily married and a full-time homemaker and mother of six. She is the author and founder of Far Above Rubies, a ministry dedicated to equipping women in their roles as wives, mothers, and homemakers.  Be sure to visit her there!


 



[also shared at Raising Homemakers, Making Your Home Sing Monday, Domestically Divine, and {Titus2}sdays]




If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Like a Bubbling Brook - it's free!  You can also easily follow along on Facebook.


6 comments:

  1. This is a great post and I can totally relate. I remember when the kids were little we waited until two weeks before to tell them they were going to Disneyland, but the two week wait was super long for them (and us, lol)!

    Can also say a hearty amen to the lectures, because I've seen my kid's eyes glaze over when I've tried to drive the point home in one to many ways. We can make our point without a 45 minute lecture, lol!

    Thanks for posting to Making Your Home Sing Monday. However, I didn't see a courtesy link back to the blog post. I'd appreciate it if you could do that so that your readers could also see what others are doing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nan, sorry about the link; I'll do it right now. I had every intent to and then was pulled out the door :) Thanks for commenting, and for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with your wise thinking with rules #1 and #3, I never "promise" anything to my children, either. Even if there are set plans I can follow through and they're old enough to know ahead of time, I still always say, "Lord-willing." Life doesn't always happen according to our plans, even our good plans.

    I think rule #3 builds trust and helps show the Heavenly Father's promises are yea and amen. We are trying to imitate His parenting.

    Great list! I'm a lot like my kids, my eyes sometimes glaze over at long blogs, even my own. You did a great job in presenting a lot of encouragement in a succint way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies. Yes, 1 and 3 hit home for me too. ;-) Such a good lesson to learn.

    Jaime, thanks for the opportunity to write here on Like a Bubbling Brook. I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an awesome post- needed to hear this! Thank you!

    Tiffany @ www.mamassimpleblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts; you've all helped to create a wonderful little community here at Like a Bubbling Brook.

Please remember the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." While I love to hear from you, comments encouraging division and condemnation will not be published - rather, they will be promptly deleted.

I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say! I wish we could chat over coffee or tea one day ~

xoxo,

Jaime

Related Posts with Thumbnails