1.11.2011

Southwestern Black Bean Tacos: Easy, Frugal, Healthy, and Yummy



We've made different variations of these "tacos" for years.  For awhile, I served this just as a bean salad, chilled.  Then I made it without a couple of the ingredients and served them in whole wheat tortillas.  Now, I've tweaked them a bit more, and think they taste best served on some Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas, lightly toasted in an oiled cast iron skillet.  Mmmm!  Lots of flavor!

For the family members that prefer meat, it also works well with a bit of shredded chicken thrown in.  




Here's what you'll need:

1/3 cup of lime juice
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

2 cups of frozen corn kernels
2 cans (or about 3 1/2 cups) of black beans
1 ripe avocado, chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Here's what to do:

Whisk the first three ingredients (for the dressing) in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high.  Lightly toast corn until spotty brown but not charred, about five minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and the toasted corn.  Drizzle with the dressing and mix well.  Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.

In the same skillet that you used to toast the corn, heat about three tablespoons of oil and lightly toast the Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas, one at a time.  You may need to add more oil to the skillet as you go.

Spoon the bean mixture over the tortillas and serve.




Enjoy!


            Warmly,

post signature


If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Like a Bubbling Brook - it's free!
You can also easily follow along on Facebook.

 
*Shared at Nourishing Gourmet, Ultimate Recipe SwapWomen Living Well WednesdayDomestically Divine, 5 Dollar Dinners, Tasty Tuesday, {Titus2}sdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, and WFMW

11 comments:

  1. Jamie this looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try this as we are trying to incorporate more vegetarian options into our family meals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I'm go glad! Be sure to let me know how your family likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look so yummy I'm making them this week for sure.

    hopping over from {titus 2}sdays

    here is my blog: butterfly wishes and wonderland dreams http://butterflywishesformygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect recipe for the perfect lunch!! :) Making them this week!
    also- wanted to mention I host a weekly Recipe event entitled Seasonal Sundays Each week- and this recipe fits the theme quite nicely! Would love you have you participate.
    xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy! I am going to have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very yummy! I have to try this. I like to use the Ezekiel tortillas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delicious! I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! As an Irish gal married to a Mexican husband, I will be making this. I usually make make homemade corn tortillas, but will try the Ezekiel tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sweet Apron, I'm sure homemade corn tortillas would be delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts; you've all helped to create a wonderful little community here at Like a Bubbling Brook.

Please remember the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." While I love to hear from you, comments encouraging division and condemnation will not be published - rather, they will be promptly deleted.

I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say! I wish we could chat over coffee or tea one day ~

xoxo,

Jaime

Related Posts with Thumbnails