We enjoy lentils around here for three reasons: they're healthy, yummy, and very inexpensive. That being said, we have two lentil soups we make frequently. One is the lentil dhal found on this vegan site. The other is this hearty lentil soup.
Here's what you'll need:
4 slices bacon (you can use turkey bacon, just add two tbsp oil)
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 - 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp thyme
1 cup lentils (we like red)
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp parsley
1. Brown the bacon in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Set aside and crumble.
2. Add onions and carrots to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic, then stir in tomatoes and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 8-10 minutes.
4. Uncover, increase heat to high, add wine, and bring to simmer. Add chicken broth and water, bring to boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low.
5. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until vegetables and lentils are softened.
6. Puree two cups of soup in blender until smooth, then return to pot. Stir in vinegar, bacon, and parsley.
Check out Real Food Wednesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Tasty Tuesday, and Nourishing Gourmet for more nourishing recipes.